SHINE Weekly Update // 02.19.15
Welcome to your weekly update for SHINE, the Children's Ministry of First Presbyterian Church of Orlando.
Save the Date
Saturday, March 14
Registration opens this Sunday, February 22! Projects for small children in SHINE (childcare is available for infants through kindergarten; registration required). For questions, please contact Joy duMee at 407-423-3441 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
EASTER SERVICES AT DR. PHILLIPS CENTER
Sunday, April 5
Childcare is provided for children birth through kindergarten (more information to come). 1st grade children and up will worship with their family.
VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL
July 20-24, 9:00am-12:30pm
Children must be 4 by August 31, 2015 through entering 5th grade in the 2015-2016 school year.
SUNDAY CAR TALK
Questions to ask your children on the way home...
1ST - 4TH GRADE
Big Picture Question: Who is the one true God? (Yahweh is the one true God.)
- What false god did King Ahab and the Israelites worship? (Baal; 1 Kings 18:18)
- Because King Ahab disobeyed God, what did God send to Israel? (a drought; 1 Kings 17:1)
- Who did God send as a messenger to King Ahab? (Elijah; 1 Kings 18:1)
- What contest between Baal and Yahweh did Elijah suggest? (The prophets of Baal would offer a sacrifice to their god, and Elijah would offer a sacrifice to Yahweh. The god who sent fire to consume the sacrifice would be the one true God; 1 Kings 18:23-24)
- Where did this contest take place? (Mount Carmel; 1 Kings 18:19)
- How did God use His power to show that Jesus is the Son of God? (God used His power to raise Jesus from the dead, showing that Jesus is the Son of God.)
Christ Connection: Elijah called on the power of God to prove to the worshipers of Baal that Yahweh is the one true God. By sending fire from heaven, God displayed His great power. God would use His power years later to raise Jesus from the dead, showing that Jesus is the Son of God.