SHINE Weekly Update // 01.21.15
Welcome to your weekly update for SHINE, the Children's Ministry of First Presbyterian Church of Orlando.
Change for 1st-5th Graders
Beginning Sunday, February 1, 1st through 5th grade children are invited to attend the 8:30am worship service with their families (SHINE activities for this age group will be offered only at 9:45am and 11:00am). Children's bulletins are available, so be sure to ask the greeters for one! We look forward to seeing you at 9:45am for Sunday school and 11:00am for SHINE worship.
Mom's Discipleship Group
Please join us for coffee, fellowship, and learning as we discuss parenting, children, culture, and faith as part of our Thursday Mom's Discipleship Group! We meet every Thursday morning at 9:30-11:30am on the 3rd floor of the Clayton Life Center. Childcare provided. Email Sarah Savage at email@example.com if you're interested!
SUNDAY CAR TALK
Questions to ask your children on the way home...
Pre-K - Kindergarten
- What happened after Jesus told Peter (Simon) & Andrew to fish on the other side of the boat? (They caught so many fish that their nets started to break & other boats had to come help them; Luke 5:4-11)
- Jesus said, "From now on you will..."? ("Fish for people"; Luke 5:10)
- Who did Peter say that Jesus was? (The Christ, the Son of the Living God.)
- What did Jesus say He would build using Peter as a rock? (His Church)
- What is God's Church made of? (People who believe that Jesus is God.)
- Are you part of God's Church? (Yes, if you believe in Jesus and ask Him to take away your sins.)
1st - 4th Grade
Big Picture Question: What did God promise Solomon? (God said, “I will live among the Israelites and not abandon My people.”)
- What did Solomon build to replace the tabernacle? (a temple for the Lord; 1 Kings 6:1)
- What was the difference between the tabernacle and the temple? (The trabernacle was made of tents and fabric and could be moved as the Israelites moved around the desert. The temple was a permanent structure and could not be moved.)
- Name some items that were in the Temple. (The ark of the covenant, lamp stands, basins for cleansing, an altar; 1 Kings 8:1)
- What did Solomon ask the Israelites to promise to do after the temple was built? (love and obey God; 1 Kings 8:61)
Christ Connection: Because God is holy, only the priests could approach God - and only if they followed specific instructions. Ordinary people had no direct access to the holy presence of God. Jesus changed all that. By His death on the cross, Jesus took away our sin. We can approach God intimately and individually when we trust Jesus as Lord and Savior.