Message: "Persevere to Provision"
Year of the Book Discussion Questions
- Share a time when your beliefs and convictions were tested, as you were asked to do something with which you did not agree or fully understand.
- Did you end up doing it and why or why not?
GOD: WHAT IS GOD SAYING/DOING?
- Verse 1 states that God tested Abraham. What do you think God was hoping to see in Abraham's response?
- From Renovare Spiritual Formation Bible: "In the story of Abraham and Isaac we find obedience and worship intertwined: Abraham was obeying God's command to sacrifice Isaac as an act of worship. What do you think comes first, obedience or worship? Or are they inseparable?" (p. 46).
GATHER: WHAT IS THE COVENANTAL COMMUNITY DOING AND WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR US?
- Because of Abraham's obedience, God declares that we, as his descendants, are blessed. Through Jesus, however, we are blessed as salvation is granted by faith through grace (Eph 2:8-9). Thus, our blessing moves from something earned to something gifted. For Christians, how do/should we respond to God's gift of Jesus Christ?
- As Abraham's "offspring", and ultimately as believers in Jesus as Lord and Savior, we are blessed in other amazing ways. Can you either share how God has blessed you personally, or how others in your group have blessed you?
GO: HOW CAN THIS SCRIPTURE SHAPE YOUR INTERACTIONS WITH NEIGHBORS?
- How can we help each other within our groups to live out what God has already promised to us as His children- to be "blessings" to others?
- What are you willing to sacrifice in order to love and serve your neighbors and the community well?
Learn more about Year of the Book, our church-wide initiative to read the Bible together in 2018.