Hurricane Irma: How We Respond
Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble,
and he brought them out of their distress.
He stilled the storm to a whisper;
the waves of the sea were hushed.
For many of us, it's been a long couple of weeks. We're grateful for the prayers and the way we've seen our church family and community come together before and after Hurricane Irma.
We will know more in the coming days about how you can help, but here are three ways we're getting started:
Donate to Our Disaster Relief Fund
We're collecting donations to meet needs directly in the community for those affected by Hurricane Irma. To contribute, put IRMA in the memo line of your check to First Pres, or give online. Choose "Quick Give" and "Irma Relief" in the drop down menu next to the amount.
Love Your Neighbors
We've been so encouraged by the stories of the First Pres family giving, cleaning, welcoming, helping and feeding people this week. Keep it up! Be Jesus Christ down the street.
If you have power, freeze ice for someone who is living out of a cooler. Charge a cell phone. Offer a hot shower, a cold drink or cook someone a meal that doesn't come out of a can. Look for seniors or neighbors with special needs who need yard cleanup or repairs. Don't wait to be asked!
Pray for Florida
- We grieve the loss of life from this terrible storm. Pray for people who are facing the future without someone they love, that God would bring them comfort and comforters.
- Pray for those who are still without power in many states and countries, because living without electricity is a huge pain.
- Pray for those who are facing financial hardship because of this storm, and for God's provision.
- Pray for those who have lost their homes or businesses, or who are coming home to flooded houses and ruined belongings.
- Pray for anyone who has to utter the word "Insurance claim."
- Praise Jesus for first responders, utility workers (bless!), government officials who haven't slept, and anyone with a chainsaw.